Feeling Down? Here Are Ten Foods That Could Help Fight Depression
Depression is not something that is talked about enough when it comes to men. Too many times is it thought of as weak to speak out about our mental health.
Men are looked at as strong beings, the protector, the provider, the champion of our families but depression is a serious issue that can affect us all.
Although depression is said to be prevalent in more women than men; Men are more likely to die as a result of it.
The signs of depression in men and women are like night and day.
- Lack of Sleep
- Weight Loss/Gain
- Violent Behavior
- Dwelling on Negative Thoughts
- Sleeping in
- Loss of interest
Battling depression can be an expensive and tiring task, but maybe there is another way that doctors have suggested.
According to nutritional biochemist Shawn Talbott Ph.D., “Diet Plays a huge role in depression.” Your diet could be the difference between leading a healthy happy life, and a melancholic one.
Here we compiled a list of our favorite foods that are healthy for you and great for maintaining your mental health
1. Walnuts – Walnuts are one of the healthiest things you can eat. Because walnuts contain omega-3, fatty acids that help in fighting depression.
2. Dark Chocolate – Yes, dark chocolate is actually healthy. Dark chocolate contains dopamine and serotonin, which can naturally make you feel better.
3. Sweet Potatoes – Contains B6 which is known as the mood-boosting vitamin.
4. Turkey – Gather around the table for thanksgiving, because turkey is a great thing for mental health. Turkey contains tryptophan which stimulates serotonin production.
5. Wild Salmon – Has omega-3 fatties which can help with depression. Other fish such as Mackerel, Tuna, and Bluefish also has omega-3.
6. Whole Grains – This includes bread, oatmeal, brown rice, and even sweet potatoes, as mentioned above. Focus on the healthy carbohydrates which boost serotonin.
7. Green Tea – Green tea is not only delicious it’s good at helping fight depression. Green Tea also has theanine which provides an anti-stress relaxation.
8. Yogurt – Yogurt is a great one not only is it tasty and nutritious, yogurt contains a bacteria that can boost your mood and is healthy for your body.
9. Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are high in antioxidants, which can keep your brain healthy, and fight away depression.
10. Avocados – Avocados contain plenty of glutathione which blocks the absorption of certain fats that cause stress.
These delicious foods can save you money, time and energy, they can also help your brain. Start adding them to your diet and thank me later.